HUMP day reflections:
I was honored to read with Jason Lee Norman on his Americas book tour, stop # 2 in Milwaukee at: http://riverwestpublichouse.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/author-reading-july-23-7pm/. What a great spot for a reading! Upon entering, friend Pam Parker commented, I feel like I’m back in college! And I had to agree, but the premise of this Cooperative is unique: one of only two in the entire country at this time. The reading went off without a hitch, with so many great writing friends for a captive audience, some from as far away as Racine. (Not to mention Jason and Lamya drove from Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA!) And in the 100 degree heat! Even our bartender was full of compliments! Afterwards, Stephanie Lecci from WUWM’s Lake Effect was in the house so we could record our July segment of Flash Fiction Friday: Jason read a story from his Americas book: “Argentina.” In all there are 22 stories, and if you have not yet read this gem of a book, you must. Here is more information: http://jasonleenorman.wordpress.com/
And because a band I really like, Metric, is from CANADA, this is for you, Jason and Lamya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_czU9sJ3g. Thanks Deco Dawson for the short film.
Here are some other happenings around cyber land and elsewhere:
1) Exciting news for me at JMWW magazine. Thanks, Jen Michalski: http://jmwwblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/meet-robert-vaughan-senior-flash-editor/. If you are writing flash fiction, please consider us when submitting!!!
2) Thaisa Frank’s new stunning collection, New and Selected Stories: http://www.sfgate.com/books/article/Enchantment-by-Thaisa-Frank-review-stories-3706270.php
3) Robert Kloss/ Amber Sparks at Vinyl Poetry: http://vinylpoetry.com/volume-6/page-35/
4) Interview by Rafe Posey with Paul Lisicky at Cobalt Review: http://www.cobaltreview.com/interviews/2012/07/21/interview-paul-lisicky/
5) Matthew Salesses at Necessary Fiction on What Matters in our Stories: http://necessaryfiction.com/writerinres/WhatMattersinOurStories
6) Please vote for xTx’s story, The Mill Pond in the storySouth contest: http://www.jasonsanford.com/jason/2012/07/two-weeks-left-to-vote-in-the-storysouth-million-writers-award.html. And I’m not just saying this to sway your vote. Read her dang “HOLY COW!” story here: http://www.storyglossia.com/42/xtx_mill.html
7) Such a fascinating interview with Kristine Ong Muslim and Meg Tuite at HER KIND: http://herkind.org/one-to-one/fetal-abnormality-and-first-loves-a-conversation-with-meg-tuite-and-kristine-ong-muslim
8) Have you seen the new Thrice Fiction? Have you read it? What a lovely magazine, so honored to have my piece included, thanks, editors Bob and David: http://www.thricefiction.com/pdf/ThriceFiction005X.pdf
9) Poet Michael McGriff is podcast at PBS Newshour, and his poem ‘Alone in Hell’s Canyon,’ is posted here, thanks Dorianne Laux for the link: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/2012/07/weekly-poem-alone-in-hells-canyon.html
10) And the best bonus ever: friends having kids that are just the best combination. Read why: http://oldstandby.tumblr.com/post/27919867374/open-letter-to-my-son-3-days-old. Thanks for this gift, Michael and Amy. Welcome, Sheldon!
And this just in: Michelle Reale interviews Heather Fowler about her new story collection, People With Holes. Great title, isn’t it? The Slant Interview with Heather Fowler « Flash Fiction Chronicles